The Texas Department of Public Safety requires persons applying for a concealed handgun license to take a certified Concealed Handgun License (CHL) course which consists of classroom instruction and range proficiency. The class must be taught by a certified instructor.
At Guns Plus we offer classes that not only meet the statutory requirements, but are enjoyable at the same time. Our goal is to provide both the information you need to qualify for the license and the confidence and ability to actually use a handgun, if it ever became necessary.
Our training staff is not only certified by DPS as CHL instructors, but by the State as Texas Peace Officers. Our instructors are veteran law enforcement & military officers with experience using the skills they are teaching. The instruction is conducted by current licensed and commissioned Texas Police Officers, with over 58 years law enforcement experience, including an experienced Homicide Detective and a licensed Texas attorney.
*Applicants can (but are not required to) begin the DPS licensing process by applying online prior to the CHL course.
What you will need:
· Handgun, .32 cal or larger, please bring in a bag, case or holster to the range, you will need one unloaded magazine for the qualification course.
· 50 rounds of commercial ammunition (no individual reloads). If you wish to participate in the “warm up” stage, bring 12 rounds of extra ammunition.
· Hearing and eye protection
· Lunch, drinks and whatever snacks you would like for the day
· For the range, you should wear long pants,, closed toe shoes, and a cap.
Guns Plus offers revolver and semi-automatic handgun rental for $10 per course. Rental pistols require the purchase of Guns Plus ammunition.
Guns Plus offers the sale of Hearing and Eye protection
To determine your eligibility to obtain a Texas CHL, refer to the Texas DPS website at CHL Eligibility
CHL Class Pricing:
New license class $110.
Renewal class $75.
Guns Plus conducts CHL classes on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month.
CHL license classes begin at 8 am at 2300 N. Austin Ave, Georgetown, TX (next door to Guns Plus) and end at ~7pm, with a “working lunch (bring snacks/lunch to class or grab lunch to go and return to class after the firing range qualification.)
CHL Training Subjects:
- Introduction to the course
- Concealed Handgun License requirements and restrictions
- Texas Concealed Handgun statutes & regulations
- Situational Awareness
- Use of Force
- Range safety, basic marksmanship, handgun use, and evaluation
- Handgun qualification
- Weapon storage, safety practice, child safety and proper handgun cleaning
- Non-violent dispute resolution
- Final Exam and Certification
Digital Fingerprints by Morpho Trust USA Services
Applicants are required to get their digital fingerprints at the service listed below. To utilize the MorphoTrust USA, service, simply go to https://tx.ibtfingerprint.com/
Passport Photos no longer required!
Passport photos are no longer required for Texas CHL applicants. CHL applicants may request that their photos from their Texas driver’s license file be used for their CHL license. You need not submit separate passport photos, you need only complete the CHL Form 6 and write on the form – “Use my Driver’s License Photo.” Applicants from out of state will still need to submit passport photos.
· CHL Classes held at 2300 N. Austin Ave, Georgetown, TX (next door to Guns Plus)
· Range qualification is conducted at The Firing Line, LLC range, 2560 FM 972, Georgetown, TX 78626 ( A new range in Walburg) ~12 noon.
Do I have to have my CHL packet from DPS before I take the concealed carry permit course? No. You do not have to have your packet to take the course.
*Please Note: This class is NOT designed to teach you how to shoot. If you feel you need additional instruction or practice prior to and or after taking the license course, please ask about our private instruction.